Re: LS-10 microphone

Subject: Re: LS-10 microphone
From: "William Ruscher Jr." immonacan99
Date: Thu May 29, 2008 10:26 am ((PDT))
Hi Max,

        I'm getting into the early stages of stereo recording at this
point myself, and I understand that the decisions need to be thought
out for your next mic (or mics). I'm thinking about AT3032s also for
future options, as well as Rode NT1-A mics that are highly
recommended by group members for an affordable stereo setup. Right
now I'm using tiny binaural mics in my dish that produce some stereo
affect.
I'll send you my mono recording links off list, as I have already
posted them to this group.

Regards,

         Bill

--- In  Max Catterwell
<> wrote:

> Hi Bill!
> Good to hear from you. I wasn't sure whether or not to post this,
or
> reply personally; if I've done it wrong please all accept my
apologies.
> This is a very apposite reply because I got my LS-10 this morning,
and
> on searching for my MKE-300 couldn't find it! I've just been out on
the
> fens, but hadn't been there more than a half hour when it started
> raining. It was also more windy than I'd anticipated and so not the
best
> first field test conditions. I just used the inbuilt mikes with
foam
> mufflers on. The low cut filter works very well; I had the gain at
> maximum most of the time, and as expected this made the machine
very
> susceptible to handling noise. What I clearly need to do is set the
> beast up on a tripod in a wind free situation, in as quiet (!) a
> position as possible, to get a more realistic idea of it's
capabilities.
> Re your suggestion; the ME66/K6 is one of the possibilities I am
> considering. It seems my next important decision has to be mono or
> stereo. I am very tempted at the moment to go the stereo route with
> couple of AT3032's, but I need to sleep on this for a night or two
> think. I would be extremely interested in taking up your offer of
> listening to any mono recording you care to send me done with the
> MKE-300. This would possibly contribute to my decision as to which
> format to use. I would like to keep things as simple as I can, but
am
> aware that a more 'atmospheric' recording on the cards with stereo
> recording.
> I have a fast broadband connection and am happy to receive whatever
file
> sizes you care to send.
> I look forward to hearing from
> Regards
> Max
>

> William Ruscher Jr. wrote:
> > Hi Max,
> >
> >           I used an MKE-300 mic with my Edirol R-09 as my entry
level
> > setup and got some decent mono bird recordings. If you are
interested
> > to hear these recordings, please let me know. Your combination
should
> > sound a bit better with less preamp hiss in the LS-10 than the
Edirol,
> > as Raimund's excellent comparison test of the preamps has
demonstrated
> > (Thanks Raimund!). I still carry the MKE-300 in my pack as a
backup to
> > my Sennheisser ME66/K6.  Have fun with your new LS-10 and get out
and
> > make some recordings. As often stressed in this group, the mic is
the
> > most important element and I can suggest the ME66 as a possible
upgrade
> > for the future.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > --- In  "oatcruncher"
> > <maxcatterwell@> wrote:
> >
> >> I have just joined the group and am a total beginner. I have
been
> >> reading posts on here, and many other sites for the past week.
On the
> >> basis of my trawlings I have just ordered an Olympus LS-10.
> >> Is there anybody out there who happens to have tried this
recorder

> > with
> >
> >> a MKE-300 mike? I happen to have one of these already.
> >> At this stage my main area of interest (recording wise) will be
> >>
> > birds,
> >
> >> although I realise the best part of the season is nearly over.
My