Re: happy subscribers (was Unhappy unsubscriber)

From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 9:21 am ((PDT))
At 1:05 PM +0000 5/28/08, Greg Weddig wrote:

>Arcane discussions about preamp noise ratings and microphone
>sensitivity questions are part of nature recording but do they need to
>be part of this group? or are they more appropriate to the mic
>builders etc.

I'm concerned about friendly and useful outcomes, Greg, others. The
post above Greg's this morning asks,..

"I have just joined the group and am a total beginner. I have been
reading posts on here, and many other sites for the past week. On the
basis of my trawlings I have just ordered an Olympus LS-10.
Is there anybody out there who happens to have tried this recorder with
a MKE-300 mike?"

How would folks suggest such questions be handled? Shall newcomers
get welcoming answers they can build upon or terse, unqualified
advice?  An FAQ linked to the group's yahoo home page has been
suggested and requested a number of times.  Few folks fancy
themselves to be "mic builders" but all want o be mic users. In this
case, the person who has made the post seems to understand that using
a well-suited mic to record birds can be important.  Rob D.