1. reasoning jolly subscriber

Subject: 1. reasoning jolly subscriber
From: "" =
.uk dhole23
Date: Thu May 29, 2008 6:39 am ((PDT))

We will always be interested in what is used in a specific situation .
Knowing what mic is usefull to me more say because of the pickup
response than what make of mic ,

I dont always want to know...
  what it costs, where do I buy them ?, should I buy one? will it work
with x-y, what is an alternative?, Ive got one and can I build a power
supply for it ?, how long a cable should I use with it ?,

For me This is where the topic dilutes from the original thread.

I want to know:
How did you learn about the particular species you were recording ?
What did you learn in your research about the species ?
How did you choose the location for the recording ?
What tactics did you initialy imagine the recording would require ?
How did you find the species you were recording ?
Was this task easy ?
What did you learn in doing so ?
this could go on for days..........

You may ask why I havent been seen posting such questions... Im slack
and I dont live in the states and record frogs and toads ( I would love
to record some in the UK if anyone does such things please answer the
first 3 questions?! )

seperating the equipment from the practice is usefull to focus
attention. I find it difficult sometimes to seprate my gear fetish from
recording excitement. Its sooooo much easier to click buttons on a
computer than lugging all your gear about and being patient for hours on
end waiting for a deer to fart. Getting an inch from a deers bum with
even the noisiest mic and aslong as your levels are good youll get a
mighty recording.

Lets hope the seperation will help us to focus on recording more and
getting better recordings.

Dave