7. Re: Olympus LS-10 _vs_ Sony PCM-D50

Subject: 7. Re: Olympus LS-10 _vs_ Sony PCM-D50
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Sat May 24, 2008 2:00 pm ((PDT))
Hi All

Some really interesting discussion on this (and similar) topic which
is helping me a lot.

At the moment I'm seriously considering an addition to my recording
apparatus (at the moment mostly HiMD plus Art Phantom II).  High on my
"wants list" is good ergonomics ( I don't have an RH1.)  In terms of
recording excellence the purchase of a FR2-LE is indicated.

However, yesterday a situation occurred which has, perhaps, changed my
point of view.  I went out into my back garden to do something and was
met by a collection of strident alarm calls from a number of birds.
There was a general panic.

The thought passed my mind to go back in and get the MZ-RH910 minidisc
and Sennheiser MKE 300 that I keep on standby for such a situation.
The thought of going through the routine of setting up the recorder
and microphone for what might be (and was) a relatively fleeting
moment put me off that action.

Maybe the availability of an ergonomic "point and shoot" recorder,
such as the LS-10, would have allowed the capturing of the moment.

The cause of the commotion was soon apparent.  A Sparrowhawk, or maybe
a Kestral flew out of the trees presumably having taken a nestling or
two ( a couple of normally aggressive magpies were cowering  in the
thick, lower branches).

This incident helped clarify my own purchase choice.  A FR-2LE would
probably marginally improve on the HiMD/Art Phantom situation, but, an
Olympus LS-10 would be a best asset for the "point and shoot" opportunity.

It seems to me that the FR-2LE and the LS-10 are for two different
situations.  Neither are over expensive.  In the UK the LS-10 is the
price of 5 tankfulls of petrol (gas) for amall sized  car and the
FR-2LE is the cost of 7/8 tankfulls.

What the H***, perhaps I should buy both!

Cheers

Tom Robinson