5. Re: Olympus LS-10 _vs_ Sony PCM-D50

Subject: 5. Re: Olympus LS-10 _vs_ Sony PCM-D50
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat May 24, 2008 1:01 pm ((PDT))
Rob D. wrote:
> The "2GB and stop" limitation effectively stopped my
> interest in the LS-10 -- a mistake which Sony partially avoided.
> Sony's limit of 4GB affords a ~6 hour take at 16bits/48K.

I agree, the 2GB file size is limiting. This is one of many ways that
the Sony seems a more professional unit.

However, 2GB holds 3 hours of WAV recording at 16/48, or two hours of
WAV at 24/48.  That should be plenty for most recording situations.

If you really do want to record from dusk to dawn, the LS-10 lets you
do so using MP3 or WMA formats.  The LS-10 manual says the longest
permitted single file in WMA or MP3 format is somewhat less than 4GB.
 Recording 320 kbps MP3, that 4GB would hold 27 hours of material.

The LS-10 can record for about 12 hours on its 2 AA alkaline
batteries.  A 320 kbps MP3 recording session of that duration would
produce a 2 GB file.

I know, someone is thinking, "But I want to record for 12 hours at
24/192!"  Then the best alternative is a Sound Devices 722 with 80 GB
hard disk and a big external battery.

--oryoki