Re: Ithaca, NY - Two pools of Spring Peepers, Pickerel Frog

Subject: Re: Ithaca, NY - Two pools of Spring Peepers, Pickerel Frog
From: "William Ruscher Jr." immonacan99
Date: Tue May 13, 2008 9:12 am ((PDT))
Hi David,

           I enjoyed your recording and have fond memories of camping
on Connecticut Hill, some years back. A nice spot, and thanks for
including the picture. I recall hearing  gunshots there also. My
friend and I have hiked the Finger Lakes Trail and have come up on
target shooters on State lands, several times. The Pickerel Frog was
a nice find, and can't ever recall hearing one myself in the field,
either. Your mics and setup sounded great, to me.
At the 6:25 mark until things get quieter, I noticed there is a
higher pitched call every couple seconds mixed in with the Peepers. I
am no herp expert, but I'm thinking it is a different sound made from
a single Peeper in the chorus. I'm not sure if this was the call you
were refering to.

Regards,

          Bill

--- In  David Michael
<> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> This is my first recording of the season as well as the first time
> have heard a Pickerel Frog in the flesh. The recording was made
this
> past Saturday night, May 10th, on Connecticut Hill in Ithaca New
York
> at about 8:30 pm . Two medium sized pools, separated by a bank of
> trees each host a small group of Spring Peepers, each engaging in
> their own choral bouts. A single Pickerel Frog quietly calls out
from
> among the Peepers. Gunshots can be heard in the distance,
presumably
> from hunters, though I do not know what is in season. The is a call
at
> about 6:00 that I cannot identify.. perhaps the call of another
> species I have never heard or perhaps a hybrid or even a strange
> peeper or a release call? Can anyone assist in its identification?
>
> The recording begins quietly with the sounds of the background
group
> of Peepers in chorus beyond the trees. The group of peepers in the
> foreground begin at about 1:15 and goes through five short bouts
over
> the course of the recording before finishing in a final long
sustained
> bout which is faded out. The recording was stopped due to a
passing
> car. Dropping temperatures put a halt to the chorus about an hour
and
> a half after this recording was taken. Unfortunately, I do not
know
> what the temperature was at the time of the recording.
>
> Can someone on the list please help me to identify the birds in
the
> background?
>
> As in previous posts, my rig has remained unchanged: Sennheiser
MKH
> 30/40 MS pair mounted in blimp on a tripod using a Fostex FR2-LE.
The
> side mic (MKH 40) was mixed in at about 66% relative to the mid
(MKH
> 40).
>
> There is a slight hiss (very slight) which I presume is the self-
noise
> of the microphones and is probably not helped by the FR2-LE's
preamps.
> Any comment on this? I have experimented and recorded alot with
this
> rig, and this is the best performance I can squeeze out of it. Is
this
> a typical self-noise level of the MKHs and I am just expecting too
> much from microphones?

http://scientificforestry.com/recordings/2008/peepers_pickerel_5.10.08
_20_35.mp3