Fledglings and equipment advice requested

Subject: Fledglings and equipment advice requested
From: "Hope Batcheller" saltospero
Date: Sat May 10, 2008 3:13 pm ((PDT))
Hello all,

This summer, I am doing a project on the vocalizations of fledgling land
birds in New England. I have received a $2000 grant, with which I plan to
purchase recording equipment. As I have little experience with nature
recording, I'd appreciate any advice.

What reasonably priced (under $2000, if possible) equipment set-up would be
best? I certainly want to use a digital recorder, and I think a shotgun mic
is my best option. I have access to an older "Sennheiser Microphone and
components - System K6" (that's all the info I have=85I haven't seen said
system). Would it be advisable to use this mic (with a new digital
recorder), rather than purchasing a new one?

Also, what sound analysis software should I use? I primarily want to create
sonograms and compare recordings. Is Raven my best option?

And while I'm posting here, I might as well ask: has anyone else done (or
know of any) research on fledglings? I have found very, very few resources
on fledglings at all, let alone their vocalizations. I'm hoping to begin an
archive of fledgling vocalizations, which could be invaluable for breeding
bird atlas projects.

Thanks so much!
--Hope Batcheller, age 16
Rensselaer County, NY