Re: Beginner help: I'm the beginner and I need YOUR help!

Subject: Re: Beginner help: I'm the beginner and I need YOUR help!
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon May 5, 2008 11:11 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Aaron Ximm"

> It will definitely require more work -- probably some DIY -- but have
> considered the "modified SASS" approach, in which you place quieter omni
> mics in a Crown SASS housing? I do believe people on this list have had
> success doing this with the 3032s -- I don't own a pair but in the archiv=
es
> you will find many allusions to them being considered a great deal.

They are my most important ambient mics, with the Sennheiser MKH-20's
that is...

The SASS gives a recording that's very close to binaural, it's a very
stylized "head".  The advantage of it over straight binaural is that it
will play back well in speakers, where true binaural does not do well in
speakers.  And, of course it does not have to be worn.  One of my
favorite ways of getting clear ambiance is to put the SASS 15' up on a
tall tripod.  That gets it out of the complex sound patterns near ground.

Here's my mod SASS page:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html

> If money were no obstacle I might consider creating a binaural-style set
> from the new Sennheiser MKH 8020s, using the "active cables" to make the
> mics small enough to be worn on the temples in some sort of WHB-like
> mounting...

I would love to try these in a mod SASS.

> ...except that there is an inherent contradiction between truely quiet
> ambiance recording and any sort of binaural-like approach; body noise and
> breathe etc. start to become *serious* problems, especially for long
> recordings! Something to consider...

With my mod SASS I have to be extremely careful even breathing recording
quiet ambiance and I may be 20' away from the mics.  Recording handheld
is still possible if I position myself directly behind the mics and
breathe very quietly.