Beginner help: I'm the beginner and I need YOUR help!

Subject: Beginner help: I'm the beginner and I need YOUR help!
From: "zmal132" zmal132
Date: Sun May 4, 2008 8:27 am ((PDT))
Greetings,

I've been playing around with binaural recording for a few years now
but on a really cheap set-up: a Sony MD (the MZ-N910) with the Sound
Professionals high-sensitivity in-ear binaurals.  I've used this rig,
happily, here in the states, London, Spain, Croatia but, now that I've
moved from simply a hobbyist to getting more serious about all this,
I'm finding the limitations this set-up has is quite serious.  Indeed,
my ears have developed and what I hear now on my first recordings is
basically just wind distortion and mic noise.  Ugh.

So, I just bought a Sony PCM-d50.  Using these Sound Professionals
in-ear mics with this unit is actually a little better than the sound
quality from my minidisc but, obviously, the mic noise is still quite
intense.  So, and this is my main question for anyone that is willing
to chime in here, I need mics.

As I've seen this question asked a bunch by various individuals, I'll
include some info. in regards to what I'm recording and my ease-of-use
preferences in hopes that that helps:

My interest in recording is, at this point, still principally
binaurally.  I find the theory pure and enjoy the style.  Headphone
exclusive listening/playback doesn't bother me so much.  So, I've
looked into the Shure's and the DSM's.  I don't like the sound of the
Shure's and the DSM's have at least a one month wait and a pretty
decent cost with the necessary WHB...

So, I started thinking about just going to a more classic stereo
recording set-up: affordable AT-3032's, Rolls PB224 phantom power
supply and getting all the necessary Rycote windscreens, shock-mounts,
stands, etc.  But, with this rig, all of a sudden, the ease of use,
stealth, and technical savy (which I probably have quite a bit less of
than I'd like to think!) comes into play.  And there there is the Sony
ECM-MS957 or the AT822 (both of which can be used singly for stereo
recording, no?  I like that!)...or the Rode M3 and NT3...and...!!!???

I'm mostly interested in, what I'm calling...for lack of knowledge as
to what it's professionally called...natural soundscapes.  I guess
"ambient" recording.  I'm not, at this point, interested in isolating
the sounds of a bird, a frog or a train but, capturing the whole
environment I may be hitting the record button in.  And, they're
usually quite spaces I'm recording in.  Sure, I'll occasionally find
myself in the urban jungle but, for now, I guess I could just use my
noisy in-ears...

Can anyone give me a hand with this decision?  I'd like to pull the
trigger on my rig asap but, at this point, I'm overwhelmed with how to
make this decision.  I've got a big trip I need to take this set-up on
coming up in a month so, time is somewhat of the essence.

And, in my case, there is somewhat of a cost limitation.  As I've got
my deck, $400-$500 sounds great.  $900-$1000 makes me sweat a little
more but is doable.

Please, any and all comments and opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
zmal132