Marantz DAT Connections

Subject: Marantz DAT Connections
From: "Scott Connop" turaconi
Date: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:27 pm ((PDT))
 I have some old DAT tapes that I wish to archive to computer. I still have=
 a Marantz PMD-700 that I can use and I would run them through my Roland UA=
-30 USB interface if I can keep the sound digitized.

The Marantz has two digital outputs: an I/O (balanced, female 8 pins resemb=
ling a mouse PS2 connector) output and an RCA-style (unbalanced) output for=
 a coaxial cord. First of all, why are the balances designated this way?

Second, the only cord I have for the I/O output of the Marantz is one that =
splits into a male and female 3-point XLR. If this is the one I should use,=
 how would I keep the output digital into my USB interface from the XLR's? =
My optical input on my Roland is a standard round pin. It also has a digita=
l coaxial input. What I am trying to do here is maintain a single digital s=
ignal without unnecessary DA/AD conversions.

Scott Connop