Re: audio software for Mac & Linux

Subject: Re: audio software for Mac & Linux
From: "Mike Feldman" gidney_n_cloyd
Date: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 pm ((PDT))
On 28 Apr, 2008, at 7:49 AM, Gianni Pavan wrote:
> I'm now trying to move to Mac & Linux, just to offer more chances to
> my students.
>
> I'd like to have your hints about the 2-3 best audio editors and the
> 2-3 best sound analysis programs for Mac Leopard and for Linux.

Audacity (as discussed in another thread) is free for both
Mac & Linux and does plugins, multiple tracks, high resolution,
simple analysis, uses LAME for MP3s and is continually worked on.

Another special purpose editor is Rogue Amoeba's Fission, which
works on blocks, so handles lossy compressed formats directly
without have to convert them to PCM and recompress on output.
So it's handy for trimming, splitting, etc.  And AudioHighjack Pro
is my favorite 2-channel recorder.

-- Mike