Re: Portable mic preamp suggestions

Subject: Re: Portable mic preamp suggestions
From: "Jatinder Singh" duma_js
Date: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:54 am ((PDT))
Bill, Thank you much for the update, now I know not to invest in a preamp w=
ith my ME66/MZRH1 combo.
Thanks once again
Best
Jatinder

"William Ruscher Jr." <> wrote:                   =
          Hi Jatinder,

 I just picked up a MZ-RH1 on Ebay, along with a Sound
 Professionals preamp (9V portable with 0db ,+29db, and +50db gain
 settings). I was very pleased to get them both for just a little over
 the price of the preamp, new.  Over the past weekend, I did some test
 recordings around the yard using the MZ-RH1+ME66 combo, and also
 tryed this combo with the preamp before the MZ-RH1. I don't have the
 (-db) number for the noise floor on the preamp, but the combo used
 Without the preamp sounded better to me, with less hiss, playing them
 back at fairly high volumes.
 I also compared the MZ-RH1+ME66 combo to the Edirol R-09+preamp+ME66
 combo. The noise floor of the Edirol recording was definately
 improved with the preamp set on +50db gain, and Edirol preamp set to
 the lowest volume. However, the noise floor of the MZ-RH1+ME66 combo
 was less, on my playback comparisons. These are just my first
 impressions. I will be trying out these combos mentioned in some
 (hopefully) quiet ambience settings in the very near future, to
 fairly compare them.
 As Rob suggested to me in this topic, the +75db gain and -24db noise
 floor of the Sony HD minidisc was an affordable and portable
 alternative to use with my ME66/K6 mic, vs the Edirol R-09 with
 preamp. I'm hoping a full battery charge on the MZ-RH1 will be enough
 for a weekend camp,away from electric. The Sony Sonic Stage software
 v4.3 was easy to setup, and use, unlike previous versions I've used
 with other Sony MD recorders.
 Another note on the tests. There was a 15mph breeze with 20mph plus
 gusts . I was pleased with the Rycote pistol grip and shockmount with
 the ME66, but did get some wind noise through the Lightwave EQ-106
 windscreen during these gusts. A question for all. Am I expecting too
 much from this windscreen to surpress these gusts? It retails for
 more, new, than a Rycote softie. I can't find any user reviews on the
 EQ-106. It came included with my ME66/K6 combo.

 Regards,

 Bill

 --- In  Jatinder Singh <>
 wrote:

 > Will a preamp help MZRH1+ME66+K6  combination?
 > Jatinder
 >

 > "William Ruscher Jr." <>
 wrote:                             Hi Will,

 >  Thanks for the links and reply. It was very interesting
 >  reading the Sonic Studios review on the Edirol. Yes, it sounds
 like
 >  I'm a bit like you ,a while ago. I realize the Edirol R-09 is not
 the
 >  ideal recorder for quiet nature recording, but I'm going to try to
 >  get the most out of it (and my Sony MD recorder) ,for now. I am my
 >  own werst critic. Preamp noise that did not bother me (then) in my
 >  earlier recordings ,is much more noticable now as my listening
 ears
 >  develope. Too much editing of this undesirable noise left some of
 my
 >  recordings sounding...a little unnatural. Hiss removal seems to
 leave
 >  the recordings too empty in the quiet moments, and also
 >  left "submarine" sounds that could not be heard in the raw
 recording.

 >  Thanks oryoki, for posting the list of preamps !
 >
 >  Bill
 >
 >  --- In  "flan9"
 >  <willmontgomery@> wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Hi Bill
 >  > I've had good results with p-i-p mics, the Edirol R-09 and the
 FEL
 >  battery preamp:
 >  > http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/felbattpreamp.html
 >  > I can't  comment on the other preamps you mention but I find
 that
 >  this one gives me
 >  > enough gain for me to operate the R-09 at much less hissy
 settings.
 >  I'm pretty pleased
 >  > with it.
 >  > There's quite a lot of detail on using the R-09 with a preamp
 here:
 >  > http://www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
 >  > (The page also suggests a way of attaching a small preamp of
 this
 >  kind to the back of the
 >  > R-09.)
 >  > This issue is also much discussed on the taperssection forums
 >  (though by people who're
 >  > after noiser sounds).
 >  > Reading archival comments on this list has persuaded me that the
 R-
 >  09 + preamp is a far
 >  > from ideal option, particularly if you're recording quiet source
 >  sounds. However, if, like me
 >  > a while ago, you're looking for an improvement to your basic set-
 up
 >  that doesn't require
 >  > the purchase of a new recording device then a preamp of this
 kind
 >  should help.
 >  > Will
 >  >
 >  > --- In  "William Ruscher Jr."
 >  <imonacan@> wrote:
 >  > >
 >  > > Hello All,
 >  > >
 >  > >             I have been looking for a small battery operated
 (low
 >  self
 >  > > noise) stereo mic preamp to use in the field, along with my
 >  Edirol R-09
 >  > > recorder. I'm thinking that a preamp would allow me to record
 at
 >  lower
 >  > > levels with the Edirol and also with my Sony MZ-NF810 minidisk
 >  > > recorder, that suffers from a hissy preamp noise when I record
 at
 >  > > higher levels in quiet nature recording situations. The Edirol
 >  also has
 >  > > self noise, and I find myself needing to boost the recording
 >  level to
 >  > > almost max.
 >  > > I have seen the Sound Professionals 9V preamp that offers 42db
 >  gain at
 >  > > a price of $179. A believe this preamp also would serve as a
 >  source for
 >  > > phantom power on small mics.  Another link I found this past
 >  weekend,
 >  > > was for the Ebay store of Church Audio that sells a 9V preamp
 for
 >  > > considerably less, that would put out a 30db gain (CHURCH-
 AUDIO
 >  ST-20B
 >  > > STEREO PREAMP Ebay Item number: 250214471927) .
 >  > > Both seem to be quality made products that would serve the
 >  purpose.
 >  > > Would a 30db gain be enough to make a noticable differance on
 >  nature
 >  > > recordings ?
 >  > > Once again, I'm looking for opinions from members that have
 used
 >  these
 >  > > preamps, or any suggestions on other portable alternatives .
 >  Something
 >  > > small enough that I could velcro to the case of the Edirol or
 the
 >  > > minidisk, or clip on my belt, would be great.
 >  > > Thanks in advance for any and all replys.
 >  > >
 >  > > Best Regards,
 >  > >
 >  > > Bill