Re: MKH 50 V ME 66

Subject: Re: MKH 50 V ME 66
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 am ((PDT))
At 4:24 AM +0000 4/14/08, John Tudor wrote:
>I see a lot of posts about the MKH 50 being used in an M/S
>configuration. But looking at the specs it seems the ME66 is a better
>mic. Am I NOT reading something in the specs that I should???
>
>Microphone-data.com has sensitivity & self noise as
>MKH 50 25 mV/Pa & 12 dB-A
>ME 66 50 mV/Pa & 10 dB-A.
>
>Am I missing something here???????
>Is it purley the polar pattern difference that's important in the MKH
>50 being preferred??
>
>John

Good question, John, and probably one that only someone who owns and
uses both mics on a very low noise recorder can answer fully. I don't
own the mic.

In the ME66 tests and recordings I've heard posted, the ME66 did not
seem to have self-noise performance on par with that of other mics I
accept as in the neighborhood of 10 dB(A) like the mkh-20. I recall
one ME66 having more noise in a side by side test with a mkh-40 with
12dB(A) self noise.

Sennheiser doesn't state the mic capsule type in the current spec
sheet for the ME66 but I seem to recall that it is elecret, "ME."
With 10dB(A) noise performance, it might be the lowest self-noise
electret mic we know of. I have compared a ME62 [15dB(A)] with
another mic with 14dB(A) self-noise and the ME-62's noise was
considerably greater and lower in the frequency spectrum.

Based entirely on clues and I may be entirely wrong, I've been
assuming Sennheiser's self-noise numbers on the ME series are not
"apples and apples" with some of their other models. Hopefully,
someone can provide something more concrete. Walt may own both
models. Rob D.