Re: Digital recording device

Subject: Re: Digital recording device
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:17 am ((PDT))
Hi Dave

I have not been around for a while so apologies for not answering your quer=
y earlier, I expect that the others were also busy - I don't think you were=
 being ignored on purpose.

First up what Sony minidisc recorder do you have, as they are all in fact '=
digital' recorders. Now the models before they introduced the Hi-MD range o=
f machines did not have that brilliant a mic amp in them. That all changed =
when they brought out the Hi-MD which saw Sony go from pretty mediocre mic-=
amps to quite amazing ones by comparison. In fact they compare very well wi=
th some of the best around take a look here at Rob Danielson's pages:

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

Linked from that page is a comparison of a Sony Hi-MD costing a couple of h=
undred dollars and a Sound Devices product costing thousands of dollars!

http://tinyurl.com/6jck9u

So even today the best bang for buck is still probably the Sony Hi-MD which=
 the current model is the MZ RH1, there is a review of it here:

http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/himd/rh1.html

The thing to remember is that the Sony Hi-MD's don't supply phantom power a=
nd the majority of microphones around today require phantom volts to work. =
All is not lost as you can get battery powered phantom power boxes such as =
the Rolls or Art Phantom II. So armed with one or two microphones a battery=
 phantom power supply and an MZ RH1 you would have a very good recording ki=
t.

It has to be said that by the time you add up the cost of a MZ RH1 around =
=C2=A3220 GBP and an Art Phantom II around =C2=A345 GBP it gives you a tota=
l of =C2=A3265. Now for around =C2=A3370 to =C2=A3400 GBP you can get the n=
ew kid on the block the Fostex FR2 LE which is quite exceptional for the pr=
ice and this does supply phantom power so no need for a second box to carry=
 around. Google the various items and see what price you can come up with, =
as I am from the UK I do everything in pounds sterling I am afraid.

A review of the Fostex can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/3w8xot

Now both of these would allow you to download your recordings to your compu=
ter where you could then use the freeware sound editing software called Aud=
acity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

This will also allow you to record into your computer with no limitations a=
s well, apart from the size of your hard drive that is!

With the Sony Hi-MD you need Sony's own software called Sonic Stage to down=
load to the computer, which comes with the MZ RH1.
[The MZ RH1 will also allow you to download recordings made on previous MD =
machines and convert these into wav files for you as well. So if you have a=
 lot of stuff on MD it can be worth getting this unit just to be able to do=
 that, it is only the MZ RH1 that will allow this by the way!]

There are many other recorders out there for instance you may find the Zoom=
 H2 does what you want:

http://tinyurl.com/4gwdhe

Also check out the Olympus LS 10 and the Sony PCM D50

All these units have built in microphones which while not being 'brilliant'=
 may offer what you are after. It really depends at the end of the day what=
 'quality' you are after attaining and what price range you are looking at.=
 If quality is all important then the H2, PCM D50 and LS 10 are probably no=
t for you and something like the Sony or Fostex may be better suited to you=
r needs. If you are after the very best then look at the Sound Devices rang=
e as you will be hard pushed to find anything much better.

There are many recorders out there all of differing qualities and abilities=
 it really depends on what you want at the end of the day?

I would not recommend anything that connects to your iPod as offering any s=
ort of quality when it comes to recording.

Of course if you go down the Sony MZ RH1 or Fostex FR2 LE route you will th=
en need to think about microphones as well and you will need to add these i=
nto your budget.

Something like the Sennheiser K6/ME66 combo is used by many people around t=
he world for recording bird song. It is a short shot-gun mic and offers som=
e directionality. This also has the advantage that it can be battery powere=
d using an AA sized cell in the K6 module so does away with the need for a =
separate phantom power box, so can be used straight into the Sony MZ RH1 fo=
r instance. It would also double as a microphone to record voices with as w=
ell. You can often find these on ebay for a lot less than they cost new, so=
 worth checking out.

Also do a search through the Nature Recordist group messages, entering any =
of the above items and you will find a lot of info there.

If you need any more advice please post back and we will not ignore you, ho=
nest!

I hope some of the above helps.

Sorry again we did not get back sooner.

Phil