Re: Belize file posted

Subject: Re: Belize file posted
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:30 pm ((PDT))
Hi Brian--
Seems like a good set of variables to try out. Open air vs.
absorptive barrier vs. hard and soft boundaries and other options--
all make changes in diffuse field stereo imagery that are well worth
learning more about.  When I can set-up test conditions where each
rig records the same stimulus in a quiet setting, it makes huge
difference in what I can deduce and build-upon. There are a number of
respected rigs that use hard wood boundaries besides Curt's designs.
One of the discussed characteristics is increased left/right
contrast. Forward (or near forward-facing) omni capsules that are
parallel to and attached to a boundary doesn't seem to have received
much exploration until recently. Mike is right that there are clever
ways to realize boundary and "head shapes"  that can be coated and/or
filled  with different materials. As for your compact disk material
quest, Rich Peet uses ~10" thick closed-cell high density foam in his
Cube Mic to reduce left-right cross-talk and it seems to do a pretty
good job above 1KHz.  Jecklin was apparently a thorough experimenter
and he was adamant about his specs for his Jecklin Disk,. Did he test
his rig in conditions similar to those we encounter? I have no idea.
I almost always come away from each test with a surprise or two.
Judging by that posts on this and other lists, there could be much
better descriptions of the differences created by array options.

Many recordists would be interested in hearing the mkh-8020's
compared to other known mics. Let me know if this seems like
something you'd be interested in. Rob D.

  = = = =