Zoom H4, ECM 957 wiring

Subject: Zoom H4, ECM 957 wiring
From: "camgops" camgops
Date: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:43 pm ((PDT))
Hello
I am a newbie to nature sound recording and have been following the
forum for a while - a big thanks for all of you there for the
information and advice - I have learnt a great deal from this forum.

I use a Zoom H4 and I have recently acquired a Sony ECM MS957. The mic
came with 5pin XLR to 3.5mm minijack. Now, H4 does not have 3.5mm line
input. I know of the soundprofessional's adapter, but at the moment I
wont be able to buy it form the US (I am based in India). I thought of
connecting the ECM957's minijack to a stereo female socket which
further branches into two mono TS 1/4 connectors that plugs into
unbalanced TRS input of the H4.

The way I have wired it is the tip and ring of ECM 957 goes to the
tips of 1/4 plugs and the sleeve of 957 goes to the sleeves of  1/4 TS
connectors.

I am a newbie to electronic too. Have I done it the right way? With
this setup am I recording stereo or merely two channels? Or should I
wire up 5pin XLR female to two 3pin XLR male. Please advice

With many thanks in advance.

Gopi
www.photoessays.net
www.photoessays.net/naturesounds.html