Re: Zoom H4, ECM 957 wiring

Subject: Re: Zoom H4, ECM 957 wiring
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:26 pm ((PDT))
At 8:43 PM +0000 3/15/08, camgops wrote:
>I use a Zoom H4 and I have recently acquired a Sony ECM MS957. The mic
>came with 5pin XLR to 3.5mm minijack.
>
>The way I have wired it is the tip and ring of ECM 957 goes to the
>tips of 1/4 plugs and the sleeve of 957 goes to the sleeves of 1/4 TS
>connectors.

Good going, Gopi! Your wiring should do it. The H4 has a combination
mic input connector. The correct inputs for unbalanced mics, like the
MS-957, are the 1/4" phone jacks.

There is less opportunity for static if you made a Y-cable that goes
directly from the XLR-5connector to two- 1/4" male phone plugs.
Markertek or Sound Professionals might sell this item. An inexpensive
way (using an extra connector and two adapter) is

1- http://www.planetdj.com/i--YMR-197
and
2- http://www.wiredco.com/female-jack-male-phone-plug-audio-adapter-p-231.html

It might be okay to use a Y cable with two xlr-male connectors for
the H4, but pin #1 and pin#3 on the xlr-m connectors should probably
be shorted unless the MS975 is truly a balanced mic. I tried to
locate the owners manual for the ECM-MS957 but couldn't. Using the
phone jacks is a safer bet. The M-S stereo should be encoded in the
two connectors. Rob D