Re: [phonography] The wonders of FAT32?

Subject: Re: [phonography] The wonders of FAT32?
From: "Steven Taylor" steev_x
Date: Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:27 am ((PDT))
Hmm I think I have crossed the streams with the phonography list
here! Here's my take below on NTFS, FAT32 and HFS+

On 9 Mar 2008, at 16:05, Steven Taylor wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2008, at 15:51, Martin Clarke wrote:
> > Don't forget though that FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB
> >
> > Not usually a problem until it is...

Usually at 5am when you have a deadline at 9am I've found!

On 9 Mar 2008, at 09:08, Philip Tyler wrote:
> > If you run Windows XP you really should format your drives as NTFS,
> > and this is from a Mac man!

Absolutely. There are plenty of bits of software to let Win machines
read HFS+ drives and OSX machines to read NTFS drives these days.
In OSX Macfuse makes things completely transparent and
straightforward, I've not found anything quite as straightforward in
Win, but at worst its a few extra clicks to mount an HFS+ partition.
It'll keep getting better as more and more people are running both
OS's on the Intel Macs.

When something goes wrong, FAT32 is the worst place to be in either
OS i've found.

Steve