Re: record indoor

Subject: Re: record indoor
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm ((PST))
Hi BS,

While initially I was thinking either a Telinga Stereo DATmic
parabolic system or else two shotgun microphones crossed at the
capsules at a fairly narrow angle might provide a nice image as the
birds fly across the axis.

Now I'm leaning toward boundary mics on the walls.  Placing two mics
with one on each side of an outside corner might produce an
interesting stereo representation.  Put the mics as close to the birds
as you can.  And rather than attempting to avoid the indoor resonance
(which as Rob points out will be very difficult), try to work with it
and find a spot where the reverberations detract the least or even
compliment the bird sounds.

Also before you go out and buy expensive equipment on this one
project, think about your future recording interests.  It might be
better to give it a try with equipment you know you will keep on
using. It also would be worth it to check into what equipment is
locally available for rent:  if you only need it for one weekend that
might be the best way to go.

Powering the mics and input to your computer must also be considered.

John Hartog

--- In  Budi Santoso Tan
<> wrote:

> Would you like to recommend me which type of microphone should I use
if I want to record birds' sound? The environment is indoor (in a
building, around 10m * 20m each floor. The birds are around hundred.
And I want to prevent echo

>   Also, do you know any type of device that can use for measuring
the frequency of the sound?

>   For the recorder, can I directly record it into hard disk,
personal computer or laptop? Without using HiMD recorder, because I
want to record the sound for a long period of times.

>   Last but not least, for the output, what kind of speaker should I
use to playback the sound, so that can sound natural (same as the
real), same as the frequency?

>   Thank you,
>
>   BS

Search.