Re: Parabolic Reflector plus Head Spaced Parallel Boundary (

Subject: Re: Parabolic Reflector plus Head Spaced Parallel Boundary (
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:26 pm ((PST))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> If you can use a distant, natural sound source sitting in the same
> spot for the test, I think people will be able to fully appreciate
> your accomplishment.

Hi Rob and the Group

Last night I was thinking about this and came up with this workaround.

The radio I used yesterday for the tests has an auxiliary input
socket.  I therefore hooked up my portable CD player and played back a
birdsong CD through the radio as it was hanging in the same position
on the willow tree.

I used track 18 from the CD1 packaged with the book "The Sound
Approach to Birding" by Mark Constantine et al.

This track is of the Eurasian Curlew which, after the Brent Goose, is
the most easily recognised bird call on my saltmarsh patch at the
moment.  The following snippet starts with the microphone turned to
head spaced, parallel boundary position followed by the result of the
potentiometer being turned to the focal point position.

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/PRHSB/2%20way%20edit%20B%20mp3.mp3

The wide stage effect is clearly heard in the first segment.  The
water fountain is at 2 o'clock from the point of aim of the reflector
whilst  my neighbour's wind chimes are at the rear of the reflector at
about 7 o'clock.  This is a better demonstration of the wide stage
capability of this microphone in a parabolic reflector than
yesterday's "white noise" attempt.

The following is a similar recording but made up of three segments
which appear in this order

Wide stage position
Intermediate stage between wide stage and reflector focal point
Reflector focal point

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/PRHSB/3%20Way%20Edit%20B%20mp3.mp3

The total cost of the microphone plus reflector is in the order of =A335
($70) made up of Reflector =A325, Capsules =A35, Electrical Components =A35=
.
 Plus a few hours head scratching and DIY work.

Now to put it to work :-)

Cheers
Tom Robinson