Re: Hello From Minnesota

Subject: Re: Hello From Minnesota
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Feb 9, 2008 10:48 am ((PST))
Rob, you wrote to Cynthia,

>For very quiet locations like the Boundary Waters, you'll probably
>appreciate having microphones with very low "self-noise," if not very
>low self-noise. This translates into less "hiss" and a more
>convincing sound image.  In the "low" category, with a very low size
>profile and costing $700 or less, Klas's EMKS-23 mic's come to mind.
>http://www.naturesongs.com/Telinga.html

Hard to find EM-23 on your page, Doug, and the picture wouldn't load
this morning.

>A pair of these mics for
>stereo will plug directly into your Hi-MD so all you would need to
>add is a mount that incorporates wind protection.  Here is Dan
>Dugan's shoulder pad mount/windscreen system in which EMKS-23's will
>also fit:
>http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Dan%27s_183_mic_shoulder_mounts.pdf
>. Here's a close-up of an EM-23 in his mount http://tinyurl.com/26x4gf

That version of EM-23 is a prototype built in a very short cylinder.
Eminently suitable for shoulder-mounting. I believe Klas is selling
it in a longer tube, which makes sense for all applications -except-
shoulder-mounting; you gotta have a handle to mount it with.

I believe (hope) that Klas will make short cylinder versions on
special order. I know he will supply them wired in a Y to a stereo
Message: 3.
Subject: 5mm plug.

The EM-23 is the highest-gain, quietest PIP mic known to this group.
The downside is that its larger diaphraghm makes it more directional
in the high frequencies, and its frequency response is not flat--it
has a significant "presence" rise (the Primo capsule inside is
designed for speech) and an early high-frequency rolloff. It's so
quiet that equalizing for that curve produces little audible noise.

-Dan Dugan