1. Re: Stereo Parabolic Dish with Side Capsules (was Split Para

Subject: 1. Re: Stereo Parabolic Dish with Side Capsules (was Split Para
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:07 am ((PST))
--- In  "tk7859" <> wrote:

> But first I need to finish an idea I experimented with today.  Using
> bits and bobs from my debris box I came up with an arrangement for
> varying the output from the forward facing triplet capsules without
> altering the output from the focal point triplets.  This can be done
> by means of a controller on the handle of the reflector.  It will be
> possible to smoothly change the wide stage parabolic into a normal
> parabolic while remaining focussed on the subject and continuing to
> record.

Hello All

I've been away from home (unexpected visit to North Wales)for six days
so this is the first opportunity to report back on the above.  I have
completed the controller (potentiometer)

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/Wide%20Stage%20Parabolic/Variable%20ParaJeck.JPG

and have tested it with the parajeck outside.  The results are
disappointing.  There does not seem to be a big difference in stereo
effect when the forward facing capsules have their output reduced.
Here is a snippet of the test.  This has been edited to remove the
sound of operating the potentiometer.  As a result the "wide spaced"
segments begin with me introducing them and end at the point where I
introduce the "parabolic only" segments.

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/Wide%20Stage%20Parabolic/001-WS%20V_P%20edit%20mp3.mp3

It might be that the reflector, on its own, has a reasonable stereo
effect due to the large dividing disc on which the "focal point" omni
capsules are mounted and/or the attenuation of the front, outrigger
capsules is not enough.  To investigate this theory I am in the
process of building a Mk II parabar which has "head spaced thin plates
similar to Curt's rigs" as mentioned in Robs earlier post on this
subject.  The large centre divider will also be dispensed with and the
the two focal point triplets will be mounted side by side without a
divider.  A small variation of the potentiometer idea will also allow
the attenuation of the focal point capsules at the same time as the
barrier capsules' output is increased.  Some more experimentation with
the value of the potentiometer is also possible at a later stage.

Hopefully a working sample will be available early next week.

Cheers,  Tom Robinson