Re: an introduction and request for mic advice

Subject: Re: an introduction and request for mic advice
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:30 pm ((PST))
At 4:19 PM +0000 1/30/08, Alan K wrote:
>Hi folks:
>
>I'm fairly new to this list, and have been reading the digest on and
>off.
>
>I am an adult student in a Recording Arts program at Los Medanos
>Community College, an advanced amateur flutist (with alto flute and
>piccolo, too) who enjoys playing chamber music, and since I recorded
>some of my dress rehearsals for flute and piano concerts as a kid on
>my reel-to-reel "portable" recorder have been fascinated with
>recording.
>
>I now own several mics: a pair of AKG C414B-XLS, a pair of AKG C480B
>with Omni and cardioids capsules,

Hi Alan & welcome to the list!

Of the mics you list, the 480's with omni capsules on one of Curt's
rigs directly into your 744T should be impressive for ambience.
Curt's easy to cobble-up rigs:
http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs.html You'll need
wind protection too.

I've taken 414's out a few times. I'm not sure why, but they were
noisier than the specs would suggest, a tad "warm" and they had more
issues with the wind than I'm used to.

Don't be afraid to experiment though. Some of the more useful
discoveries have stemmed from folks trying mics, rigs, techniques and
subjects that didn't seem to be promising.

The list archives have a wealth of information. For example, if you
wanted to see what has been written about "AKG 414":
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=3Dakg=
+414&submit=3DSearch%21&idxname=3Dnaturerecordists&max=3D20&result=3Dnormal=
&sort=3Dscore
or http://tinyurl.com/2zgyu8  Rob D.