Re: an introduction and request for mic advice

Subject: Re: an introduction and request for mic advice
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am ((PST))
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  I'm sure the Cornell guys have a
recommended equipment list.  You'll note there are broadly two camps
of nature recording...the ambiance recordists and the species
recordists.  Cornell folks would fall into the latter.  You'll mostly
be following birds around and pointing mics at them.  For that type of
work the best is usually a Telinga parabolic mic.  That wouldn't be
terribly useful for non nature recording purposes, but it does a good
job at doing what it was designed to do...capture sounds that are
being reproduced quite far away from the microphone.  A shotgun is ok
as well.  That might be more versatile for your other endevours.

Recorder-wise, you are set if you have a 744t...it's amazing.  Go with
that.

You will find taking your 414s outside may cause problems due to
humidity affecting the mics.  In general Sennheiser mics do very well
outdoors with minimal problems from humidity.  Your C40Bs and AT822
would do nicely for getting ambiant recordings.

Also, check the archives of this forum for many many discussions
regarding people's first rig, first mic, etc.  Maybe you've done that
already.

Danny