Re: ' Y ' cables

Subject: Re: ' Y ' cables
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:54 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "artsonics"

>      I have a query as to how best it is to select which connectors
> are chosen for cable ends. I realize most connectors going into every
> recorder are male 3pin XLR, however on the 5pin ends of a 'Y' breakout
> I am thinking male maybe a better idea than female for the simple
> reason that as these are hanging from recorders most if not a good
> deal of the time that a hanging male connector with a female connecter
> plugged in is less likely to collect water droplets running along
> cable length as the stainless shell is covering the female plug. I
> imagine the same scenario with a hanging down female connector plugged
> into a male that is facing up would more likely let water or moisture
> into the connection. What are the experts views on this?

The water is going to get in by capillary action, not gravity. Better to
use the X-HD series on the 5 pin end if worried about water and stick
with the standard female on the outboard end of your recorder Y.  Female
on outboard end keeps from having pins shorted on lines that are powered
but not connected. Throughout your system that same order should be
followed. There is a reason for that order.

You can save a little money by having the ends that plug into the
recorder the non weatherproof X series.  Could also do the same at the
mic ends as you probably won't be drowning the mics. I have drowned the
5 pin end on a y on the SASS out recording in the middle of a pond right
at the water surface. It was the fabric braid I put on that got the
water through the X-HD's waterproof seals. One of the reasons I carry
spares. I just put on a spare, and took apart the connector that was wet
to dry.

I use X-HD connectors for all the 5 pins and X series for the 3 pins at
recorder and mics.

If necessary you can exchange the cores for the two series to make up 5
pin weatherproof. Or maybe try to get Neutrik to sell the parts separately.

>     I also ment to ask if Neutrik make colored markers for coding in
> the HD range or if XX series colored rings or boot ends would
> interchange with the HD series?

The males in the X-HD weatherproof series will take either the plastic
colored caps or the colored label bands.  The females have a rubber boot
and can only take the caps. The original X-HD caps are metal, but the
plastic ones seem to work. If the writing on the sacks here is right I
think the caps are something like BSX-BR and the bands are XCR-R. They
come in a variety of colors.

> Another question is what cable can be used for double M/S or surround
> where 3 or more channels are required. Is there 6 core canare stuff
> out there, or do we have to use multicore snake for this? It's not an
> immediate requirement...just something I may work on as a future project.
>  thanks again.

You should probably not run signal cold in common from the two channels.
That means 4 conductors.

For double M/S you will probably find that two cables is lighter than
snake. If making up a cable specifically for this you could band the two
together with periodic heat shrink bands to keep them more organized.