' Y ' cables

Subject: ' Y ' cables
From: "artsonics" artsonics
Date: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:21 pm ((PST))
Hello crew,
     I have a query as to how best it is to select which connectors
are chosen for cable ends. I realize most connectors going into every
recorder are male 3pin XLR, however on the 5pin ends of a 'Y' breakout
I am thinking male maybe a better idea than female for the simple
reason that as these are hanging from recorders most if not a good
deal of the time that a hanging male connector with a female connecter
plugged in is less likely to collect water droplets running along
cable length as the stainless shell is covering the female plug. I
imagine the same scenario with a hanging down female connector plugged
into a male that is facing up would more likely let water or moisture
into the connection. What are the experts views on this?....6 of one,
half a dozen of the other or what. I know a lot of the time it will
depend very much on how we lay out our cables but it's just a last
minute thought before I start buying any 5pin male connectors. I had
previously only considered female conectors as this is what most mics
accept. One of those times when you finally find what you may need and
still not sure if you do need it and your last chance to buy as you
see it nowhere else....and more than likely if you don't buy it you
will certainly need it and never be able to find it again. Didn't
Murphy write that one? I am referring here to Neutrik 5pin HD
connectors which has taken me a long time to source. I look forward to
members advice on this. Thanks

clint