2. Re: Stereo Parabolic Dish with Side Capsules (was Split Para

Subject: 2. Re: Stereo Parabolic Dish with Side Capsules (was Split Para
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:58 pm ((PST))
Thanks for your comments Rob

--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Any ideas about the source of the "babbling" effect on the far left
> and right towards the end of this recording? Seems like it could be
> the sound/location itself but it might also be some sort of
> center-side mic interactions. I heard this effect in the recording
> made from your yard too. I'm having trouble imagining the geese on
> the far left and far right at the same time they are in the center at
> great distance.

There is a big goose population on the saltmarsh.  Some seem to like
the home ground but the majority head off, at dawn, to local farms for
the free nosh (got to be better than having to stick one's head in the
cold water all the while) and return at sunset,  so there is nearly
always the sound of geese which is augmented when the main flock
returns.  I've also noticed the babbling but put it down to the large
number of geese, but it may well be problems with the mic
setups/capsules.  Maybe I need to focus my attention (and my mic's) on
another subject.  Or even buy some decent microphones(NT1As)?

> I have noticed that Rapid mic capsules tend to have less high-end
> frequency response than some recordists prefer.  Boosting the
> high-end above 2K centered around 4.5K in conjunction with several
> very narrow bands of parametric noise/hiss attenuation 6-8K Hz seemed
> to improve the clarity of the natural sounds quite a bit.

However, they do have the benefit of being amazingly cheap - great to
experiment with :-)

> Wouldn't be great to test four of Klas's EMKS-23's in a Multi-Capsule
> ParaJeck? I believe at least one of Klas' rigs uses/d multiple mics
> on a boundary array-- all within the dish. I'm sure there is
> something acoustically "wrong" about the rig concept,.. Comments
> anyone?

Yes, when I am satisfied with the results from the current set of
experiments I would like to use better quality capsules - but which
ones?   I don't think Panasonics will be a big improvement on the
Rapids and they cost significantly more.

> Please feel free to work on rig name/subject-line of the thread some
> more, Tom.

Yes the nomenclature is beginning to get confusing.  Can any one help
with a relevant name?

 whereas your rig does seem to have some boundary
> effect in play (with the front capsules).  I suppose one could also
> place front mics on head-spaced thin plates to acquire traits of
> Curt's rigs.

A couple of weeks ago when I started playing about with the wide stage
parabolic reflector approach I attached a lightweight barrier at the
front of the reflector (ParaBar?)as in this photo (capsules not mounted)

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/Wide%20Stage%20Parabolic/Parabolic%20+%20Spaced%20Barrier.JPG

I was reasonably pleased with it but moved on to the ParaJeck concept
as this seemed a better construction/engineering approach.

Now I've had the experience with the ParajJck, particularly the system
of mounting the forward facing outrigger capsules, I think a very good
attempt could be made of the "head spaced thin plates similar to
Curt's rigs" idea you mention above.

But first I need to finish an idea I experimented with today.  Using
bits and bobs from my debris box I came up with an arrangement for
varying the output from the forward facing triplet capsules without
altering the output from the focal point triplets.  This can be done
by means of a controller on the handle of the reflector.  It will be
possible to smoothly change the wide stage parabolic into a normal
parabolic while remaining focussed on the subject and continuing to
record.

I have not thought off a way to go from 100% parabolic reflector to
100% barrier but don't really see the point of doing this.  My remit
is to add a sense of spaciousness to a reflector and not to turn a
relector into a barrier.

Cheers, TomR