1. Stereo Parabolic Dish with Side Capsules (was Split Parabola Boundar

Subject: 1. Stereo Parabolic Dish with Side Capsules (was Split Parabola Boundar
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 am ((PST))
At 12:00 AM +0000 1/28/08, tk7859 wrote:

>Finally the geese arrive home at 4:38 pm - 8 minutes late!
>
><http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/Wide%20Stage%20Parabolic/Geese%20L_R.mp3>http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/Wide%20Stage%20Parabolic/Geese%20L_R.mp3

I explored the frequency response of this recording a bit. There
seems to be some resonance just above 300 Hz that is consistent with
that I came across in the inside localization test. There is nothing
else obvious that stands out and would require comparison to
recordings made with capsules that are not contained in a dish.

Any ideas about the source of the "babbling" effect on the far left
and right towards the end of this recording? Seems like it could be
the sound/location itself but it might also be some sort of
center-side mic interactions. I heard this effect in the recording
made from your yard too. I'm having trouble imagining the geese on
the far left and far right at the same time they are in the center at
great distance.

I have noticed that Rapid mic capsules tend to have less high-end
frequency response than some recordists prefer.  Boosting the
high-end above 2K centered around 4.5K in conjunction with several
very narrow bands of parametric noise/hiss attenuation 6-8K Hz seemed
to improve the clarity of the natural sounds quite a bit.

Wouldn't be great to test four of Klas's EMKS-23's in a Multi-Capsule
ParaJeck? I believe at least one of Klas' rigs uses/d multiple mics
on a boundary array-- all within the dish. I'm sure there is
something acoustically "wrong" about the rig concept,.. Comments
anyone?

Please feel free to work on rig name/subject-line of the thread some
more, Tom. Your multiple capsule design was getting confused with
John's design in the list archive.  I note that "para" is common to
"parabolic," "parallel capsule wiring" and the two "parallel
boundaries" of the divider. I'm not sure "Jecklin" is a perfectly
accurate term as the capsules are not on the order of being
head-spaced. Most Jecklin rigs I've seen also use a reflection
dampening barrier-- whereas your rig does seem to have some boundary
effect in play (with the front capsules).  I suppose one could also
place front mics on head-spaced thin plates to acquire traits of
Curt's rigs. Rob D.