12. Re: Recording Software Question

Subject: 12. Re: Recording Software Question
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:38 pm ((PST))
<<But one should note as well...Soundblade is a mastering program,>>

But four track, so it qualifies as a multitrack environment.

<<Samplitude is for PC,>>

I realized after I sent this I meant Traktion, not Samplitude.

<< and Garage Band is not an editor. So those
aren't really useful when considering Mac multitrack editing/mixing
software.>>

I don't use Gargeband so I don't know its limitations, but I have
clients who bring very fully realized multitrack productions to me
for mastering which were done entirely in Garageband, so it must do
something.
Add also Bias Deck to the list, though well back in the pack.

<< To suggest those programs are competing with or improving
on PT is not really correct [well maybe Samplitude perhaps].>>

There are certainly Mac programs which definitely compete with PT,
while not all those I listed have the same feature set.

I am continually having PT users look over my shoulder during edit
sessions & exclaiming something to the effect of "Man, DP kicks
ProTools' butt for editing!"

I invite you to experience a faster than realtime bounce-to-disk when
the file is an hour long.

Anyway, the point is, there are many options, & now that native
processing power has advanced so much in recent years, PT is no
longer clearly superior to native systems, & has in fact fallen
behind some in ease of use & feature set. It's a pretty level playing
field now.

Scott Fraser