2. Re: FR-2LE so far

Subject: 2. Re: FR-2LE so far
From: "Romilly Hambling" oldgreybird
Date: Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:26 pm ((PST))
--- In  "Romilly Hambling"

I wrote:

> A thought. Can you reformat a flash card, as in the Fostex, to defrag
> it/remove the directory fragments that seem to be a such big problem
> with the FAT file system.
>
> romillyh

For what it's worth, a search on fostex deck freeze produced the
following from http://sonicstudios.com/tips.htm. The 2nd para is
slightly confusing as I don't think it means reformat the card BEFORE
removing files! Anyway, hope it helps.

QUOTE:

FORMATTING OF FLASH CARD MEMORY

New technology flash card recorders are very convenient in being able
to quickly transfer recordings much faster than real-time, and then
reuse the memory card.

However, some of the newer digital decks using flash memory are VERY
particular on the format structure of this media. It is most wise to
ALWAYS REFORMAT flash memory IN THE DECK whenever removing the memory
card and placing into a dedicated card reader for file transfer
purposes. In-deck reformat avoids 'mysterious' file corruption and
deck freezes common with using cards SLIGHTLY changed from the deck's
particular standard format during computer card transfer processes.

ALSO very good practice to REFORMAT EVEN IF NOT REMOVED after all
recorded files needed have been safely transferred. Just deleting
files may leave non-continuous file space on the card. Complete
reformat wipes clean all stored files, and insures the deck can fully
utilize the space in a continuous fashion. Using a freshly reformatted
memory card helps avoid recording errors and deck freeze-up faults.

USEFUL TYPES OF FLASH MEMORY FOR AUDIO RECORDING

However, most flash decks using solid state card memory are VERY
particular to the TYPE (Type 1, 2, ...) of flash media used for audio
recording purpose.

Very, very fast (ultra types and other advanced types) cards mostly
use a BURST mechanism useful for fastest transfer of many very small
(in comparison to audio file size) digital camera photo files. Flash
BURST schemes do nothing good, sometimes work AGAINST smooth,
continuous very large audio file recording, and is often the cause of
audio file interrupts, corrupted files, and deck freeze-up.

Suggest using FAST cards, like SanDisk Ultra II that actual state
continuous write/read speeds. Then you know card has best chance of
working for all audio recording purposes..

END QUOTE

The Fostex USA forum (http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/) doesn't
seem to have any posts on the freeze topic, so maybe no one else has
encountered it. I found the fostex page on flash cards that have been
tested with the fr-2le not overhelpful as it's mainly restricted to
slower (Types 1 and 2), smaller capacity cards which, from the Sonic
Studios tips, may not be so susceptible to freezes.

Fostex USA do have a contact form for tech support
(www.fostexusa.com/index.php?file=contact_us/contact_us) Maybe worth a
try?

Maybe Curt could say what type of card he's using, and whether a
reformat cures the problem. (One guy said on the fostex forum that he
couldn't format a card with a Tamiya-type battery in but could when he
switched to AA-type. I think this was an initial FAT32 format, not a
reformat after offloading files.)

Meanwhile I'm going to continue dithering!!

romillyh

PS: Just seen Curt's latest but there's little I can add.