Re: TSA Lithium Battery madness

Subject: Re: TSA Lithium Battery madness
From: "Neil Tungate" neil_eurodead
Date: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:12 am ((PST))
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> Actually, there is a limit of TWO lithium-ion batteries "up to [a total of]
> 25 mg", which (thank god) would appear to allow me to carry on (only) two of
> my 970s. For my purposes this should be OK.
>
> My concern is that this is called out in the table as a "special case"...

That looks to me to refer to lithium-ion batteries that contain between
8 and 25 grams of lithium.

> ... and there's no explanation of why that row is uniquely described as a
> "special case."
>
> Poking around the TSA site I can't disambiguate what they mean by this
> phrase. E.g. does one need a letter stamped by George W?
>
> Or does it just mean, they know this would cause chaos and hence have
> included this option which extends by default to everyone?
>
> Taxpaying minds want to know...!

As I don't live in the US, I'd be interested to know what would happen
if I flew in with a bundle of supposedly disallowed batteries. Have
these rules been implemented world wide?

--
Neil Tungate
http://www.skipper.org.uk