Re: Raid Backup Storage

Subject: Re: Raid Backup Storage
From: "Phil Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:20 pm ((PST))
For those on a tight budget may I suggest an alternative to Raid backup.

There is an excellent piece of software called 2nd Copy for Windows. With this
software
you can point it at a source drive and a destination drive and then let it do
its thing. At
regular intervals, set by you, it will scan the source drive and any changes
will be copied to
the destination drive which can be USB, FireWire or a NAS drive. It has many
configurable
options to give you plenty of options to play with. You can even evaluate it
free of charge,
take a look here:
http://www.centered.com/
We use it at work to provide backups and it is a really useful bit of software
just sitting
there in the background creating 2nd copies. We even have a copy on our server
which
wakes up in the early hours of the morning and makes copies of any new files
added to
the server. Wish they did it for the Mac!

Phil

--- In  Marc Myers <> wrote:

> I've used both Maxtor and Granite Digital. My Maxtor is a firewire RAID1
> array and was
very cost effective. My Granite Digital is RAID5, array each on its own SATA
cable.
Lightning fast and more efficient in terms of disc space use but more expensive.