Re: Confession of a wild recording felon

Subject: Re: Confession of a wild recording felon
From: "Robin Aurelius" raureli
Date: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:30 am ((PST))
Dear Bernie: Bravo to you for a firm stand. I will go out with you  and risk
arrest.
  I am a Quaker and we believe in peace for earth.
Check out Ruah's web site
  www.peaceforearth.org

  She and her husband are walking the length of the Pacific Coast to
demonstrate how to lower your and my carbon footprint. They are going into as
wild a place as we Quakers can find for contemplative walking and talking as
they progress down the valleys from Bellingham to San Diego.

  I will help host them here in Sacramento. They will walk to Davis, and then
to Santa Rosa.
  I think they would like to go through Glen Ellen. Can you help with a
peaceful, walkable route from Napa to your place, and then on to Santa Rosa?

  They travel on foot with two backpacks and a modified golf cart carrying
their tent and other heavy items.

  If you are interested I will email you their blog address. They interview
people who doing things right in their terms, and I strongly feel you are a
doer of right, and willing to stand up for the natural sounds that are still
with us.

  Bravo again for your firm stand. And I believe both political parties could
find a niche in your habitat. I feel I have a leg in both parties myself, and I
try to find the workable path.

  Best from Robin Aurelius
  A voice from your past when you were Klempner and Krause in SF.
  By the way, we have a tentative date to record the Heron colony at Napa State
Hospital.

Bernie Krause <> wrote:
          This is going to turn me into a libertarian. I confess: I've been
recording natural soundscapes in US national parks, regional and
local parks, wildlife reserves, BLM sites, marine sanctuary, and
USFWS sites, without (and sometimes with) permits for 40 years. I've
been busted twice (the authorities so far have resorted to a stern
warning and a ticket for something in the area of $40 bucks), and
I've thus mortally sinned beyond words capturing those special
voices for posterity. I don't know if there's an acoustic hell in the
afterlife, but I'm probably bound to suffer
interminable stretches of bird-boarding (strapped to a board and
forced to listen to extinct bird sounds while the federal agencies
put on trial an entire population for daring to listen to what's
left) until I spill the beans on the real insidious purpose of my
activities.

Like I said before, if we can gather up large enough numbers, we
might all plan to meet as wildlife amateurs at the entrance of a
national park early one morning, march to a site oh so quietly, set
up our equipment (in view of as many cameras or cell phones as we can
sneak by the authorities so that we can post the result on YouTube)
and go for it. Then, move onto another park or site and do the same
thing. I don't expect the current authorities to understand shame
because, obviously, they have none. But perhaps there is still a
vestige of ignominy left in the culture...enough so that our
righteous act of disobedience will make an impression and difference.

Bernie Krause

On Dec 13, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Volker Widmann wrote:

> Does anybody think that the new regulations would also affect us
> ordinary amateurs with professional looking gear.
> How do you prove that the material you record never will be used
> commercially.
> I once got stopped at Crystal Cove State Park (near Laguna Beach)
> doing
> some video and sound.
> I assured the ranger that I was doing this for mere hobby reasons and
> everything was fine.
> Would I now have to prove that I am not a professional?
>
> Weird times....
>
> Volker
>
> J. Young schrieb:
>
> > I found this article relating to photography in U.S. parks.
> Though it
> > is not audio recording relevant I can see that the same rights
> could be
> > affected.
> > http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2007/12/parks01.html
> > <http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2007/12/parks01.html>
> >
> > Enjoy!
> > J.

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

Google Earth zooms: Earth.WildSanctuary.com