Re: Confession of a wild recording felon

Subject: Re: Confession of a wild recording felon
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:20 am ((PST))
LOL @ "bird boarding", Bernie.  I don't wish that on you!

So far as government regulation is concerned it falls into a lot of
other areas as well. My husband owns a roofing company and recently
some nitwit (or it could have been a pair of nitwits) in Florida
decided that after a roofing contractor removes a pre-existing roof,
they must call in a general contractor (most roofing contractors do
not hold a general contractor's license) to look at the bare wood and
certify that it is attached correctly.  Need I point out that this
will take days in some cases as you are working around other people's
schedule and that it is Florida where it rains in the summer?  (A
roof with nothing but bare wood showing for days is a BAD thing
here.)  They must do this before they can re-install the new roofing
material.  It also ups the overall cost to the consumer
considerably.  People will now either a) not replace a roof that
needs replacing or b) have to take out a loan and thus incur more
debt.

----------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  Bernie Krause <>
wrote:

> This is going to turn me into a libertarian. I confess: I've been
> recording natural soundscapes in US national parks, regional and
> local parks, wildlife reserves, BLM sites, marine sanctuary, and
> USFWS sites, without (and sometimes with) permits for 40 years.
I've
> been busted twice (the authorities so far have resorted to a stern
> warning and a ticket for something in the area of $40 bucks), and
> I've thus mortally sinned beyond words capturing those special
> voices for posterity. I don't know if there's an acoustic hell in
the
> afterlife, but I'm probably bound to suffer
> interminable stretches of bird-boarding (strapped to a board and
> forced to listen to extinct bird sounds while the federal agencies
> put on trial an entire population for daring to listen to what's
> left) until I spill the beans on the real insidious purpose of my
> activities.
>
> Like I said before, if we can gather up large enough numbers, we
> might all plan to meet as wildlife amateurs at the entrance of a
> national park early one morning, march to a site oh so quietly,
set
> up our equipment (in view of as many cameras or cell phones as we
can
> sneak by the authorities so that we can post the result on
YouTube)
> and go for it. Then, move onto another park or site and do the
same
> thing. I don't expect the current authorities to understand shame
> because, obviously, they have none. But perhaps there is still a
> vestige of ignominy left in the culture...enough so that our
> righteous act of disobedience will make an impression and
difference.