Re: [gear] Marantz PMD620 first impressions (long msg)

Subject: Re: [gear] Marantz PMD620 first impressions (long msg)
From: "argentino_sf" argentino_sf
Date: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 pm ((PST))
Dear all,

I have been reading many posts about preamp noise and microphones
self-noise (including an interesting thread "new recorder - mic pre
factors" =96
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/18839),
but I still cannot figure out what gear to buy.

I have narrowed to Marantz PMD-620 and Microphone Madness MM-BSM-8 in
ear binaural mics, with stock capsules (not Sennheiser MKE-2
capsules =96
http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmtrunathook.htm).

My newbie questions are:

(a) If I were to record chamber music at a concert hall with a
Marantz PMD-620 + MM-BSM-8, there would be any perceptible hiss from
the mics or preamps?

(b) There would be a lesser amount of hiss with MKE-2 Sennheiser
capsules option?

(c) If a choose MKE-2 Sennheiser capsules, would be better to buy,
for instance, a Sony PCM-D50 (which I presume has a better preamp
than PMD-620)? Would the MKE2 self-noise (~27dB) be capable of
masking the flash recorder preamp?

(d) Is there any in-ear binaural mic with lower self-noise?

I would appreciate any comments, given the fact that I live in Brazil
and is very hard to test those new devices here.

Best regards,

Jose Luis