[gear] electret mics & noise (was Marantz PMD620 first impressions

Subject: [gear] electret mics & noise (was Marantz PMD620 first impressions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 pm ((PST))
Hi Jose--
Thanks for using the list archives. Martyn
Stewart has an excellent section on his web site
that covers the principles behind your gear
questions:
http://www.naturesound.org/Nature_Recording_Q%26A/Entries/2007/12/2_Microph=
one_self-noise.html
I'll briefly apply them to the conditions /gear
you ask about below. I will generalize some to
help the relations become clearer.

When the sound source is moderately loud, as with
a symphonic concert, mic placement is usually a
greater determinant than differences in
self-noise performance with most, popular
electret mics. With loud music and near-to-stage
mic placement, one should be able to make fairly
noise-free recordings.  If you have to turn-up
the recorder gain above ~1/2 way-- as with the
music that is performed at low volume or you are
recording from considerable distance-- all
electret mics are likely to contribute at least
some, audible noise.

The MM-BSM-8 mic is rated at 34 dB(A) self-noise.
Recordings made with mics that have somewhat
lower self-noise like the MKE-2 [28dB(A)] or the
Shure WL-183 [22.5dB(A)]  might be preferable--
but don't expect a huge improvement.

You do not need to invest a lot of money on a
recorder to use with electret mics. The noise
inherent in the microphone preamp of many older,
MD recorders, for example, is low enough to be
obscured by the self-noise produced by electret
mics.  For reference, you would need mics with
around 12dB(A) self-noise* to begin to take
advantage of a more expensive recorder with very
low-noise mic pres like a Fostex FR-2LE.  Rob D.

* Which is considerably lower than all electret
mics I know of besides the EMKS-23's which
might(?) be border-line with ~14dB(A) self noise.

=3D =3D =3D  =3D