Re: H6K Spike AT3032's (was AT3032's and instability in Sound Device

Subject: Re: H6K Spike AT3032's (was AT3032's and instability in Sound Device
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:41 pm ((PST))
At 8:29 PM +0000 12/12/07, Romilly Hambling wrote:
>Scuse my ignorance, but could someone say what motorboating is?

Textured feedback that sounds like a motor.

>I too
>have had problems with my 3032s, specifically a big "carrier" wave of
>about 6 Hz.

Exhibiting the problem on both 3032 mics at once is the unusual part.
There were some, narrow emphasized bands in another 3032c pair we
studied but none that I'd call, "big."  I would think that your
dealer would be happy to send any mic back to the manufacturer with a
glaring defect.  You could make a broad bandwidth recording outside
and include a sonogram showing the spike when you send it back.

>  I can't hear its effects except at high amplification in
>post-processing, but I can't remove it by filtering either,

Quite likely you could with the proper EQ plug unless the noise is
widely distributed and not narrow.

>so it could be a nuisance with quiet noises that need amplifying. Was
>recording with Edirol R-4. Low battery power could have been a factor
>as I have the usual problems with batteries that haven't been used for
>a bit.

I'll take a listen to your 3032 tests. Rob D.