Re: Oregon Mysteries: two locations - same species?

Subject: Re: Oregon Mysteries: two locations - same species?
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sun Dec 9, 2007 8:15 am ((PST))
As brief follow up: on November 29 I received one more corroborating
email response to my request for bird call id regarding Northern Pygmy
owl call.

Chuck Gates of East Cascades Bird Conservation (ECBC) in central
Oregon replied, "I will tell you that I had a Pygmy Owl making the
same sound just a few days ago.  A lady called me about an owl that
had hit her window.  I retrieved the bird and took it to school for a
day to show the kids.  When I released it, it flew to a branch above
me and scolded me with that twitter call for about 2 minutes before
flying off.  I wouldn't doubt if your owl had a nest in a nearby tree
and his/her behavior was because you were getting close to that tree.
 They will often nest in Flicker cavities."

I feel confident now, it was indeed the owl making the "scolding
twitter" call.

Thanks again to all who contributed.
John Hartog