Re: Sound Devices in Sub Zero weather

Subject: Re: Sound Devices in Sub Zero weather
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Dec 9, 2007 8:31 am ((PST))
At 6:32 AM -0800 12/9/07, Bernie Krause wrote:
>We've recorded at around 8F (-13C) on 722 in the Arctic Nat. Wildlife
>Refuge. No problem HD or FC.
>
>Bernie
>
>On Dec 8, 2007, at 7:08 PM, Michael Raphael wrote:
>
>>  I'm going to be recording tomorrow in temps around -5 to 5 degrees
>>  F. Should I only record to the flash drive on my 744 or can the
>>  internal drive handle it?
>>  -- any recommendations? Should I bring little hand warmer packs in
>>  my porta-brace bag?
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Michael
>>

>Wild Sanctuary
>POB 536
>Glen Ellen, CA 95442
>707-996-6677
><http://www.wildsanctuary.com>http://www.wildsanctuary.com
><chirp%40wildsanctuary.com>
>Google Earth zooms: Earth.WildSanctuary.com

I'd record to the INT HD to create more heat but I'd forgo the hand
warmers. I've left my 744T out numerous times for 16+ hours in
sub-zero temps inside a rip-stop nylon fanny pack with the zipper
left open about two inches for ventilation. I suppose if you left the
recorder case exposed to the air, the internal temperature would drop
low enough to cause problems. but surrounded by one, fairly air-tight
layer, controlling the temp is a matter of adjusting venting. There's
plenty of heat generated. Summer creates greater concerns for me. Rob
D.