Re: Sound Devices in Sub Zero weather

Subject: Re: Sound Devices in Sub Zero weather
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Sun Dec 9, 2007 12:36 am ((PST))
On Dec 8, 2007 7:08 PM, Michael Raphael <> wrote:
> I'm going to be recording tomorrow in temps around -5 to 5 degrees
> F.  Should I only record to the flash drive on my 744 or can the
> internal drive handle it?
>   -- any recommendations?  Should I bring little hand warmer packs in
> my porta-brace bag?

This is all second-hand, but I recall someone saying that in use the
HD generates enough heat (especially in a tight sealed bag) that it
keeps itself warm, and that the biggest problem was actually
condensation when alternating between cold exteriors and warm
interiors... I'm pretty sure I recall someone recommending that the
unit be placed in a sealed ziplock (possibly with desicant) and
brought inside that way, and allowed to warm up while sealed?

Regardless, it does seem safe to say that you'd be assured of handling
more extremes with CF-only...

...but don't quote me, you might want to search the archives!

 aaron

--

  quietamerican.org
  oneminutevacation.org