External powering issue with my SD-702

Subject: External powering issue with my SD-702
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:39 pm ((PST))
Hi group,

I ran into a perplexing problem using an external battery pack with my
SD 702.  Tech support at Sound Devices are perplexed also, but they
are trying to figure out what might be happening.  In the meantime, I
thought I would post this to the group as a word of caution for those
considering external powering schemes and also by chance anyone here
can provide some insight.

Using 14.4 V external battery pack made up of twelve 1.2 V AA NiMH
(2500mah) rechargeable batteries, the recorder does not switch over to
the attached battery when the external battery runs low, but rather
the recorder shuts down prematurely leaving a corrupted file.

I have done a bit of troubleshooting; though I have not tested with
another recorder yet. I do have some thoughts on this myself, but none
that answer why the recorder does not switch over with some battery
packs.   It's almost as if the 702 gets confused when both voltage and
power from the external pack drop too low too quickly.

John Hartog