Re: Minidisc best equip/practice

Subject: Re: Minidisc best equip/practice
From: "Peter Nielsen" earthspectrum
Date: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:36 pm ((PST))
Thank you for your reply. I will try to address the key issues you
raised in order.

MD recorders seem to present an irresistably cost-effective option.
They are very cheap on eBay. Unfortunately, good secondhand mics are
not as common. I am hoping for a pair that will run off the voltage
supplied by the MD mic socket (no phantom), are moderately
directional, and priced below $50 each. I suppose I would like to
visualize a graph showing where sound quality drops off most sharply
with descending price.

I am interested more in gobal ambient sounds, not specific or
isolated bird calls, etc. I will be continually on the move and would
like to be able to set the equipment up within 5-10 minutes. Most MD
recorders will accept "AA" cells, so I would carry an adequate supply
for the time away.

Given the overall acquisition cost of the above, I am also wondering
if a flash memory recorder with built-in mics might be a preferred
solution. Some of the newer ones, such as the Zoom H2 and Marrantz
660 seem enticing. What kind of results are nature recordists
achieving with these devices and how does the sound quality compare
with MD and cassette?

I know this is a bit subjective, but I hope you can see enough to
offer some specific advice, perhaps on the simpler and cheaper end of
acceptability. Then I can learn more with experience upgrade, if necessary.

Best regards,

Peter Nielsen