Re: Minidisc best equip/practice

Subject: Re: Minidisc best equip/practice
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:01 pm ((PST))
Peter Nielsen wrote:

> ...Would someone with field experience in this area kindly provide a
> brief "checklist" of the most cost-effective and reliable methodology
> for achieving results that would suit a serious amateur?...

Peter, I think your question is reasonable, but the answer will take a
lot more information about your interests, plans and budget. It's sort
of like asking, "What's the best camera to take on my vacation?"  The
answer will be different for different people, and different vacations!

Your budget will narrow the choices.  Recorders ranges from a few
hundred dollars to many thousands.  Ditto microphones.  You could
spend $100 or $10,000 on equipment.

The type of sounds you hope to capture makes a difference, too.  You
mention bird song, waterfalls and sounds of the forest.  A "serious
amateur" might want different microphones, set up in different ways,
for each of these scenarios.

How portable should the equipment be?  You mentioned camping. Will you
be away from civilization for days, weeks?  This makes a big
difference in the battery power needed to keep your gear running.
Will you set up camp and take day trips, or will you be moving all
your gear every day?

Do you want a recorder that will enable you to quickly capture the
sounds you experience along the trail?  Or are you able to take time
to stop, set up your gear, and wait for the right time to record?

My purpose is not to discourage your question, just to request
additional details.

--oryoki