Re: modified ambient recording setup

Subject: Re: modified ambient recording setup
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:24 am ((PST))
Posted by: "therebesandinmypants"

> I just found this group yesterday to my utter delight.
> I was wondering if anyone could advise on the AT 3032, to be used
> in a similar capacity as curt olsen's modified XY / binaural setup for
> recording ambiences.
> [http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs.html]
>
> In particular he mentions the extended frequency response, high SPLs
> and very low self-noise of the AT3032, as tested by Eric Benjamin of
> this group.
>
> Was wondering how this compares to other mics in the field, [like Rode
> NT55s for double the price]. ATs look amazing for the price, and any
> more info on them would be greatly appreciated.

They make a pretty good low priced mic. They do not equal mics like the
Sennheiser MKH, but in their price class are very good.  I don't own a
pair, but have built a modified SASS around a pair for someone else
which was very nice, here's my SASS page:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html

For recording ambiance I primarily use the mod SASS/MKH-20.