Re: Ribbon microphones

Subject: Re: Ribbon microphones
From: "airbornerecording" airbornerecording
Date: Fri Nov 2, 2007 10:33 am ((PDT))
--- In  "John Hartog"
<> wrote:

> Hi group,
> I didn't find much on this topic in the archives, but it seems folks
> generally avoid ribbon mics for nature recording: is this because
> their sensitivity is to low?
> The reason I am wondering is I noticed an ad for a Beyerdynamic M160
> (hypercardiod) & M130 (figure 8) combo, but looking at the specs I
> can't understand how to compare them to specs of the condenser mics I
> am used to using.
>
> Beyerdynamic's M130 data sheet shows:
> Open circuit voltage at 1 kHz (0dB =3D 1V/Pa):  1.0 mV/Pa &#8801; -60 dBV
>
> Can anyone put this in terms relevant to nature recording?
>

> John Hartog
> Portland, Oregon USA

Yes. The most sensitive ribbon of which I am aware is the Royer SF12.
I have one and have depended heavily on it for its versatility over
the years. Its rated sensitivity is -51.5 dBV. This is 8.5 dB more
sensitive than the Beyerdynamic you mention, meaning that 8.5 dB more
gain will be required of the mic pre. Gain is always accompanied by hiss.
Even if you pull every trick in the book (as I have had to do to
extract maximum performance from my gain stages to keep hiss almost
subliminal) its presence will be apparent in recordings with very
quiet ambiance.

In short, I don't think the Beyer is at all appropriate for this use.
 The potential advantage of a Blumlein stereo ribbon like the SF12 is
the uncompromised fidelity of the pickup of the surroundings. The best
use so far for it has been recording waves at an ocean beach, where
the sound of the water masked whatever hiss would have been generated
by the hard working mic pre.

It, like most  ribbons, is extremely sensitive to wind and must be
very carefully protected. It is a bit of a trick to provide adequate
wind protection while preserving at least a modicum of the wide band
response.