Re: Converting Hi-MD ATRAC

Subject: Re: Converting Hi-MD ATRAC
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Nov 2, 2007 9:05 am ((PDT))
At 4:07 PM +0000 11/1/07, oryoki2000 wrote:
>Rob Danielson wrote:
>
>>does [Sony's] new recorder even use/offer ATRAC?
>
>Nope. The PCM-D50 can play back WAV or MP3,
>but it records in WAV only. Read about the
>new recorder here
>
><http://tinyurl.com/2kqyhv>http://tinyurl.com/2kqyhv

Thanks Oryoki. Sony could be phasing out the DRM scheme in their
recorders. Maybe the timing is right to ask Sony consider setting our
(.oma/DRM) recordings "free?"  There are many recordists with many MD
and Hi-MD discs that they will need obtain their recordings from
digitally for many years to come. In 15-20 years, MD/HiMD decks will
be scare. Many recordists have resorted to compromised analog
transfers because the transfer decks were expensive and required real
time.

Its likely that Sony has the ability to provide software to allow us
to drag copy _our_ ATRAC files from HiMD and MD discs and convert
them to file formats we use in our editing software. Sony has
included some .oma conversion support in SoundForge. Recordists who
have been loyal to Sony and their recorders deserve the support too.
It might be worth  the few minutes its takes to submit a request:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/productsuggestion.asp Rob
D.