Re: [fieldcraft] cable wrapping techniques

Subject: Re: [fieldcraft] cable wrapping techniques
From: "" jerkabobber
Date: Thu Nov 1, 2007 6:23 pm ((PDT))
Very interesting topic. I have never heard of this technique, so it was neat to
see the video and everyone's responses. I work construction, so I have to deal
with this on 25-100 ext. cables 5 days a week. I have learned to coil my cords
the "everyday" way around my hand/elbow, except I pay particular attention with
my coiling hand as I'm coiling to make sure the cord doesn't twist and is being
gripped well enough that when it slides through my hands that it's being coiled
smooth and straight as it wraps around my arm. I have no idea how else to
explain it, and now that I have seen that video, my way seems definitely
inferior, but... really works well for me especially since it's "durable"
extension cord. Also, Walt's explanation of the mountaineers coil was
interesting. I have done some very limited climbing and know how much of a pain
in the ass it is to smoothly coil (and unfurl) climbing ropes.
Anyway, my 2 cents.