Re: [gear] Song Meter autonomous audio recorder (long msg)

Subject: Re: [gear] Song Meter autonomous audio recorder (long msg)
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:35 pm ((PDT))
Having said that, i have had some spare time to play with the Song
Scope software and up to now after loading many of my sound files i
find it to be very disappointing to say the least and for 499 bucks, i
don't think it is worth the money.
Imagine a lengthy recording from many hours of work put into the hands
of this program to sift through the bird species. It is very
disappointing.
I have had similar matches for "Olive-sided flycatcher and spotted
towhee when the bird was in-fact a simple american robin!!
Go figure!!

To me, software like this is very gimmicky, not unlike speech
recognition for the computer (that doesn't work right either!)
You have to donate many hours of your time to fine tune this program,
it would be better to spend valuable time getting to know the birds
without the aid of software....

Martyn
Martyn Stewart
http://www.naturesound.org