Re: Ventriloquism in Birds?

Subject: Re: Ventriloquism in Birds?
From: "Kevin Colver" kjcolver
Date: Mon Oct 1, 2007 7:44 pm ((PDT))
Greetings All,

Some bird calls are purposefully difficult to localize and might be
thought of as "ventriloquial."  I am thinking in particular of the
aerial predator alarm calls made by many small birds when airborne
danger approaches.  These calls are usually a thin high zzeeee that
seems to come from everywhere and nowhere, very useful to alert the
flock without drawing attention to one's location.  These aerial
predator alarm calls contrast with the ground-based predator alarm
calls which are coarse, broad-band, and easily localized.  The birds
need to know where the cat or perched owl is so they can keep an eye
on it.
I've also noticed that some songbirds sing a territorial song with
similar "ventriloquial" characteristics.  The Varied Thrush in the
USA Pacific Northwest sings high, steady or quavering notes while
perched nearly invisible in the old growth forest.  This would seem
to have the double benefit of eluding predators while giving rivals
the illusion of omnipresence.
I find it often revealing to study the sound characteristics of a
bird vocalization, these characteristics have usually evolved to the
point that they match the communication need at hand and are worth
trying to understand.

Kevin Colver