1. Re: What is the best mic cable for nature recordings

Subject: 1. Re: What is the best mic cable for nature recordings
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:23 am ((PDT))
This is, or has been, a highly entertaining thread...

For what it's worth, I use Mogami 2930 two-channel multicore cable. I
make my own leads, using Neutrick XLRs with gold pins and black outer
casings, and a bit of heatshrink tubing. Using Humbrol model-making
paints, I put a red dot on one XLR and a green dot on the other to
allow channel identification (red for left/port, green for
right/starboard, as per naval standards). I paint the dots into the
recessed Neutrik logo on the underside of the connector, so it doesn't
wear off with normal use.

Even though it is a two channel multicore, the 2930 is highly flexible
and a pleasure to work with. This is an aspect that I think it is
often overlooked - ease of use. After using the Mogami, which is so
compliant and obedient, I really can't see myself using anything
stiffer. I think I'd run out of patience!

Had no problems running it across frozen lakes, icy ground, whatever.
I think it would also make a fine whip for keeping Bengal tigers at
bay, but I'm not in a hurry to find out for sure.

I'm not a big fan of starquad for anything but working in areas of
high electrical interference. It has no benefits beyond that
situation, and a number of things to get neurotic about - such as the
theoretical possibility of crosstalk, and the theoretical possibility
of reduced high frequency response due to its higher capacitance.

Having said that, for years I used a Royer SF12 stereo ribbon
microphone (for music recording) and it was supplied with a stereo
cable made from Canare star quad. No problems at all. Like I said, the
crosstalk and the reduced HF response are things to get neurotic
about, not necessarily proven in practice but something to worry about
if you're that way inclined. Like, "I wonder if that would've sounded
even better if I wasn't using starquad?".